Top Reasons To Own an Overhead Garage Door in Houston | Everything You Need to Know
Before you get an overhead garage door, there are some important things to consider. Do you really need one? Are they worth the expense? The truth is that if you don’t have an overhead garage door, then you’re missing out on a number of features and benefits. Here’s everything you need to know about overhead garage doors and why they might be a smart investment for your home or business.
What is an Overhead Garage Door?
An overhead garage door is a large garage door that opens and closes vertically, as opposed to horizontally. They are typically much larger than traditional garage doors, and they can be operated manually or automatically. An overhead garage door is usually made from steel, aluminum alloy, or timber. They can also be sectional or paneled, and they’re designed to slide up into the garage roof above.
Overhead garage doors are becoming increasingly popular, especially in businesses. They offer a number of advantages over traditional garage doors, which is why they’re quickly becoming the standard for garages everywhere.
Why Should I Get an Overhead Garage Door?
There are a number of reasons why you should get an overhead garage door. Here are some of the top reasons:
- They’re More Secure – Overhead garage doors are much more secure than traditional garage doors. They’re harder to break into, and they offer more protection against intruders and theft.
- They’re More Versatile – Overhead garage doors can be used for both residential and commercial applications. They’re perfect for businesses that need a large garage door, and they can also be used in residential homes.
- They’re More Energy Efficient – Overhead garage doors are more energy-efficient than traditional garage doors. They keep out the cold and the heat, which can save you a lot of money on your energy bills.
- They’re More Durable – Overhead garage doors are more durable than traditional garage doors. They’re made from high-quality materials, and they can withstand the test of time.
- They’re More aesthetically pleasing – Overhead garage doors are more aesthetically pleasing than traditional garage doors. They add value to your home or business, and they can improve the overall look and feel of your property.
- They’re Easier to Use – Overhead garage doors are easier to use than traditional garage doors. They can be operated manually or automatically, and they’re very easy to open and close.
How Do I choose the right type of Overhead Garage Door for My Home or Business?
There are a number of different types of overhead garage doors available on the market. Here are some of the most popular types:
- Sectional Garage Doors – Sectional garage doors are made up of several panels that fold together. They’re very sturdy and durable, and they offer a lot of security and privacy.
- Panel Garage Doors – Panel garage doors are made up of a series of panels that slide up and down. They’re perfect for businesses that need a large garage door, and they offer the most space for any type of overhead garage door.
- Roller Garage Doors – Roller garage doors are made up of a single sheet of metal that rolls up into the roof of the garage. They’re very simple to operate, and they’re great for residential garages.
- Tilt-Up Garage Doors – Tilt-up garage doors are made up of several panels that tilt up into the roof of the garage. They’re very easy to use, convenient, and accessible.
What features Should I look for When Shopping for an Overhead Garage Door?
When you’re shopping for overhead garage doors, there are a few different features you should take into consideration:
- Size – The size of your overhead garage door can vary depending on your needs. If you want one that provides the most space possible, then consider getting one with more panels or sections than usual.
- Material – The material your overhead garage door is made from can seriously impact its price, durability, and overall quality. When you’re shopping around, look for something that offers the features you need at a price you can afford.
- Price – The price of an overhead garage door varies depending on the size, materials used, and the type of overhead garage door it is. Look around for one that offers everything you need without breaking the bank.
- Extras – For added convenience, some overhead garage doors also come with extras like remote control operation or automatic drive mechanisms. If you want extra features like these, make sure they’re included when ordering your new overhead garage door.
What are the Benefits of Owning an Overhead Garage Door?
Having an overhead garage door has many benefits for both homeowners and their guests. Overhead doors aren’t just for garages, they can be found on other covered areas such as carports and breezeways. Sometimes it is easy to forget the many benefits of owning an overhead garage door when it isn’t even in use, however, opening and closing your garage door has many benefits to both homeowner and guest alike.
- Security – One of the top reasons to own an overhead garage door is for security purposes. With a closed garage door, it is much more difficult for anyone to break into your home.
- Insulation – An overhead garage door can also provide insulation for your home, helping to keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Keep out bugs – Overhead garage doors provide a shield from pesky insects such as mosquitoes and other flying bugs that can cause havoc for homeowners, especially during the summer months.
What to Do When Your Garage Door is Not Functioning Properly
There are times when you might experience issues with your overhead garage door. While issues with your garage door can range from the serious to the not-so-serious, safely working on a garage door has many requirements and precautions that you should take before attempting to work on it yourself.
- Damaged Springs – One of the most common issues homeowners encounter with their overhead doors is damaged springs. When a spring becomes loose or breaks, this will usually cause an issue when opening and closing your garage door.
- Worn Rollers – Over time, rollers located along the tracks of your garage door can become worn or lose their lubricity, making it difficult to open and close your garage door. In cases such as this, homeowners can often lubricate the rollers to help remedy the situation.
- Damaged Cables – If a cable becomes damaged, it can be very dangerous for both the homeowner and their guests. In fact, cables that have snapped can cause a whole garage door to come crashing down. If you encounter a damaged cable, it is best to not operate the garage door at all and call for professional assistance.
- Faulty Sensor – A faulty sensor can be one of the most frustrating issues a homeowner can experience with their overhead garage door. Usually, if there is an issue with the sensor, the opener will stop working completely or will only work in certain sections of the garage door. Most sensors can be either adjusted or replaced depending on where the issue is located.
- Issues with Remote Controls – If your remote control has stopped working, it may simply need new batteries. However, most remote controls will also have a wall switch that you can try to see if this resolves the issue. Remember, before attempting any work on your garage door or opener unit itself, always call for professional assistance as it is easy to injure yourself when modifying mechanical components such as garage doors and openers.
What Are Some Common Problems with Installing an Overhead Garage Door?
Many homeowners and businesses in Houston choose to install an overhead garage door for their property. This is a popular option for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the security and convenience it provides. However, there are some common problems that can occur during installation that you should be aware of.
One common problem is that the tracks may not be level. This can cause the door to bind or stick as it opens and closes. Another problem can be that the door is not properly balanced, which can lead to it becoming stuck in the open or closed position.
What Are Some Common Issues with Broken Garage Door Openers?
There are many different problems that can occur with a broken garage door opener. Some of them can be fixed easily and inexpensively while others may require more extensive repairs or replacement parts. Here are some common issues with broken openers:
– One common issue is that you click on your remote control and hear no sound from the motor running inside of your garage door opener unit. If this happens, you may need to replace either the capacitor or the motor itself in order to resolve this problem.
– Another problem is if your opener unit runs, but the door does not open. In this case, you may need to adjust the limit settings on your opener or even replace the photoelectric eyes.
– If your garage door opener unit is old or outdated, it may be time to consider replacing it altogether. Newer models are often more energy-efficient and have additional safety features that can help you avoid common problems with broken openers.
– Finally, if your garage door opener is completely non-functional, you will need to call for professional assistance in order to repair or replace it. This is because there are a variety of electrical components inside of an opener unit that is best handled by a trained technician.